Every year, all kinds of folks flock to the Alabama-Florida state line for the wacky Mullet Toss competition. It’s a day full of flying fish, fun, food, contests, and sunshine for all people, mullets, and seagulls. The fish-throwing contest takes place smack-dab on the Alabama-Florida state line. Planning to take part? Here’s what you need to know about the Mullet Toss!
Are you looking for the most fun experiences on Alabama’s Gulf Coast? Then, you’ve come to the right place! That’s because here at Sunset Properties, we’re the experts when it comes to all things Gulf Shores. Check out our free Vacation Guide and see for yourself the incredible experiences that can be yours!
Mullet Toss Need-to-Know’s
What is a mullet toss, you may ask? The ceremonious, plentiful mullet is one of the more populous fish indigenous to the Gulf Coast area. It is the only fish with a gizzard and is fabled to possess mystical powers. It is known as bait fish on the east coast, but it is also a local delicacy here. The party that is the Mullet Toss consists of contestants throwing the no-longer-living piscine projectile from a 10-foot circle in Alabama. The airborne “delicacy” then flies across the state line and into Florida. Or into the crowd depending on the fish thrower’s aim and grip on the slippery fish, of course. The fun activities, music, and food are a great way to blow off some steam and have a good laugh at the same time.
For those concerned with the livelihood of marine life, the participating mullet are no longer alive, but, according to multiple accounts, do remain very friendly! After their generous sacrifice, the fish are then donated to the local avian menu. This is absolutely one of the don’t-miss events in the area!
How Much Does it Cost?
A paltry $15 buys you the chance to launch your favorite fish and garners you a nifty souvenir t-shirt, as well! Plus, 1st Place gets a trophy, a Flora-Bama gift certificate, and, according to the event, “any other junk [they] can find laying around.” The best part? A contribution of your fish-flinging fee goes toward local youth charities! Here are a few easy rules to keep in mind while you’re there!
- You will toss approximately one whole mullet (roughly 1 lb.) across the Florida/Alabama state line.
- To participate, you must submit a registration form at the beach.
- $15.00 Entry Fee. You will receive your new favorite Interstate Mullet Toss t-shirt.
- During your toss, no gloves or sand on mullet to improve grip is allowed.
- Mullet will be picked out of the water bucket. After you throw, retrieve your mullet and toss it back into the bucket.
- Mullet will be thrown from a 10′ circle down a designated alley.
- No stepping out of the circle during your throw and follow through or you will be disqualified.
- Throwing your mullet out of bounds will result in an automatic disqualification.
- DON’T MISS! One chance only to qualify for finals.
- There are six finalists in both the men’s and women’s divisions each day.
Toss Your Mullet Into the Sunset
Aim for the best place to stay on Alabama’s Gulf Coast when you’re tossing your mullet! Here at Sunset Properties, our condos and beach houses are the perfect fit for whatever reason you’re here. You’ll love their proximity to the beach, quality, and comfort. So, check out our available rentals! Then, when you’re ready to book, contact us! We are eager to accommodate you, and cheer you on, during your Mullet Toss adventure. For the best experiences in the area, Mullet Toss and otherwise, download our free Vacation Guide today!